Can Epstein -Barr virus infection lead to Hodgkin lymphoma?
appx 4 times more than gen population, period 4 yr
Hi XXXX , I'm Dr Suresh K Yadav M.D (paediatrics) , I have gone through your question and understand your concerns .
1. In population endemics for Epstein -Barr virus , infection (EBV) with this virus occurs usually to all.
2. In gen population incidence of incidence of Hodgkin Lymphoma is approximately 2-4 new cases/100,000 population/year. Infection with Epstein -Barr virus infection increases this risk to nearly 4 fold , mean time form infection to development of lymphoma is 4.1 years .
3. Regarding development of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma , Most children in whom Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma develops have no obvious genetic or environmental aetiology but it is also increased and is major risk for a particular type Endemic (African) Burkitt lymphoma in XXXXXXX and New Guinea .
Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions
Difficult to say
Hi , I understand your concern but it is very difficult to comment about source of infection as virus is present everywhere and practically it is not possible to prevent its infection. Chances of getting infected from you are less as chronic carriers shred the virus intermittently only , but practically it an assumed guess only unless there is history of contact with someone having recent disease. I do not see any reason to blame yourself for an infection which is present ubiquitously.
Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.
I appreciate you answering. You have helped a great deal. I will try to get some peace about this. Thank you again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Non hodgkins lymphoma ankle
- Non hodgkins lymphoma on tonsils
- Hodgkins lymphoma and blood in urine
- Non hodgkins lymphoma bladder infections
- Hodgkins lymphoma spider bite
- Discharge plan for hodgkins lymphoma
- Hodgkins lymphoma diet
- Hodgkins lymphoma and lumps in mouth
- Getting married with hodgkins lymphoma
- Chronic sinus infection hodgkins lymphoma