Can Eltroxine cause pain during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015 in General Health
Question: My wife is pregnant and she is suffering from thyroid. One doctor prescribed eltroxine. Only one day she took is yesterday. Today morning she is having pain, she is feeling tough to speak
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be due to eltroxin.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
During pregnancy if your wife is suffering from thyroid hormone deficiency then thyroid hormone supplementation - eltroxin is essential for normal growth and development of the baby. The baby can be mentally retarded and developmentally slow in case of thyroid hormone deficiency.
The pain and difficulty to speak is not likely to be related to side effects of eltroxin. These can be related to anxiety. You can get her ultrasound scan done to detect the cause of pain and fetal well being.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN