Can Eltroxin drug taken for hypothyroidism cause abnormal hair loss?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Dr. I am 35 year old male. I have hypothyroid diagnosed very recently and I m in eltroxin 50 mcg. I noticed abnormal hair fall after starting this medicine which i never had earlier. I m really scared if it will continue. is it because of medicine? pls advise if I need to switch over better medicine like armour? also pls suggest if I need to take any supplements to control my hair loss.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About your concern;

Detailed Answer:
I have gone carefully through your concern.
Usually, hair loss is seen in hypothyroidism and more rarely in hyperthyroidism.
In your case, the only cause of hair fall that started after Eltroxin may be a higher dose than needed.
Six weeks after starting the treatment we recommend to check TSH to be sure that the dose is correct.
If you have started it less than 6 weeks and TSH level has been under 10 mUi/ ml and Ft4 and ft3 within the normal levels ( before treatment), you may stop taking it for 2-3 months to see if there is any improvement.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 39 minutes later
Hello Dr. m taking eltroxin for the past 14 days only. my report as attached. Pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the treatment:

Detailed Answer:
You should continue the treatment with Eltroxin (the TSH is too high), the hair loss is due to hypothyroidism that needs at least 6 weeks to improve after starting treatment. Check TSH after 6 weeks as the dose you are taking may be low.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 12 hours later
thano you dr. Will continue and will check the level after 6 weeks as suggested. Reg hair fall is there any supplement I can take along thyroid medicine, something like primrose capsule or omega 6 capsules? pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
About hair loss treatment;

Detailed Answer:
The only effective treatment for the hair loss is Minoxidil foam.
I would suggest to wait for a couple of months and see the efficiency of Levothyroxine if the hair loss continues despite the TSH is back to normal ranges than start Minoxidil.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T