question-icon

Can Effexor be taken in place of Sertraline?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: Hi I am 63 years old and I am on Sertraline 75mg daily for almost 8 months. It did not help me at all. Can I change to Effexor straight away or do I have to wait for few days before starting Effexor. And what dose should I start with. THank you
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng (59 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it is a prescribed medicine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting a query.
sertraline and effexor both are SSNRi's instead of switching to another medicine you can consult your physician for increasing the dosage of sertraline. The initial dose of this medicines is 75 mg, under medical supervision it can be increased according to the patients response.

Hope the information was useful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Nagamani Ng