Can Edetate calcium disodium be taken to resolve aortic valve stenosis?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: will oral intake of calcium disodium edta, help remove a slight calcium deposit on the aortic valve. ?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic care. Edetate calcium disodium not for calcium chelation.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Calcium disodium edetate is a lead chelator and is not even indicated for aortic calcifications. After age of 65 slight calcifications of aortic valve is common presentation. Unless you have severe aortic stenosis / narrowing of the valve you need not to worry about. All you need is regular follow ups to make sure disease is not worsening and keep an eye on your blood pressure and lipid profile and keep it to the minimum. Stay compliant to the medications you have been prescribed with. Its unlikely that you will need an aortic valve replacement which your doctor has already reassured you about.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan