Can ECG, cardiac enzymes and echo cardiogram detect an ischemic attack?

Question
I think my husband had a heart attack over the weekend. He is on medication for Hypertension 40mg of Micardis a day. His symptoms were-neck pain, R-shoulder pain, very tired and kind of pale. It started on Thursday with him being tired...then Friday the 4th he was still really exhausted and saturday and sunday he slept most of the day and was very sweaty. We took his BP as we have a cuff...and it was High-for him even on his meds, but he said he was alright. Now...he is feeling better, still sweating off and on, but his BP readings are lower. I would like to say these symptoms were kinda like FLU like symptoms. If he went to the ER now...would they be able to tell IF he had actually had a heart attack?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes. With investigations they may able to diagnose

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Yes, with investigations like ECG, cardiac enzymes and echocardiogram we can know whether he has suffered from ischaemia or heart attack or just flu.

The symptoms for flu and heart attack may overlap. But raised in BP cannot be seen in flu. All symptoms other than raised BP point towards flu. For now ask him to continue both aspirin and antihypertensive drug and get examined and check for the above said investigations.

I hope this information helps you and answered your question.
Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you and your family good health.

Follow-up: Can ECG, cardiac enzymes and echo cardiogram detect an ischemic attack? 9 hours later
His blood pressure this morning was 110/80 before he had taken his medication. It has never been "normal" in the 6 years he has been on the medication. Could this mean he may have suffered damage to his heart!? We lost his mother to Myocardial Infraction at the early age of 46 in 1998. She to suffered from Hypertension.

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cannot tell past cardiac status with current BP

Detailed Answer:

Be relaxed. With the current BP we can't tell whether your husband has suffered from cardiac arrest (MI) or not. But we can tell that his BP is normal now.This may be due to the antihypertensive drugs.

Ask him to continue the same drug and check for his lipid profile once. BP, lipid levels and blood sugar are the important things you should take care to prevent any cardiovascular problem.

Better to get done exercise stress test once to take any extra precautions.

I hope this answered your question and helps you. Feel free to ask if any further information.

Wish you and your family good health.