Can Duramine medication cause cancer while on chemotherapy for breast cancer?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 in Cancer
Question: Can Duromine cause cancer? I am currently on chemotherapy for breast cancer and battling obesity. Will it be advisable for me to take Duromine? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Monish De 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Duromine does not cause cancer

Detailed Answer:

Duromine is a medication that contains phentermine which is commonly used as an appetite suppressant and causes loosing of weight in obese persons.

It does not cause cancer and you can safely take chemotherapy for your breast cancer.

The most common side effects are restlessness, insomnia, diarrhea or constipation, feelings of fatigue and increased blood pressure.

I would advise you to take Duromine early in the day either before breakfast or right afterward because taking it later in the day can result in insomnia.

The drug comes in doses of 15, 30 and 40 mg tablets. The dose will depend on the recommendations of your physician and should be taken with large volumes of water.

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana