Can Duloxetine cause excessive weight loss?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I've been on duloxetine hcl dr since April - to help with diabetic neuropathy - and have lost 30 pounds in that time period. Not complaining about weight loss but would like to know if this is "normal." Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide additional information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am,

I can certainly understand your concern..

Before guiding you on the current question I would like to know your body weight before initiating Duloxetine and prior to April. Based on your response I will guide you thoroughly.

Additionally, please let me know how long have you been a diabetic?

Also, kindly specify the list of antidiabetic medications (with dosage if possible) that you are currently taking..

Awaiting your inputs in this regard...

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 21 hours later
Tried to send this yesterday but don't know if it was received. I weighed 159 lbs. prior to start of medication and 129 yesterday. I've been a T1D for 31 years; current insulin dose around 30 units. Trying to maintain tight control has resulted in steady, slow weight gain over those years along with difficulty losing weight. For past 10 months pounds have just melted away. Therefore my question about whether or not this is "normal."
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight loss is significant and possibly related to Duloxetine

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

I can certainly understand your concern.

This certainly accounts to significant weight loss.

In my preview this is possibly due to drug related side effect. Duloxetine is known to cause weight loss.

It's advisable to consider an alternative/ substitute for Duloxetine. Please check your your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Likewise it's advisable to get an ultrasound abdomen and complete blood counts to rule out organic Abdominal pathology.

Are you satisfied with my consultation ?

Is there anything else left to be discussed ?

Post your further queries if any
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T