Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Can Doxycycline be used to treat erectile dysfunction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 824 Questions
my husband was given 50mg of doxycycline to take twice a day for ten days. However, he did not have a cold or infection such as respiratory or sinus. Reason for doctor visit says: erectile dysfunction. what could he possibly be given this medication for if he did not have a respiratory infection. He never told me about the medication he was taken. I found a patient information sheet in his bag.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doxycycline is used to treat other infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. I reviewed the medical report and am guessing your husband's doctor suspected an infection in his testicles or prostate gland, or possibly in his urine or urethra. Doxycycline is also used to treat infections in those areas. A urine test had been checked which could reveal some of those possibilities. The report also mentioned further evaluation of the testicles. Perhaps the doctor suspected an infection in the tubes of the testicles (epididymitis). He might have erectile dysfunction as a result of this. The doctor also checked hormone tests to see if the erectile dysfunction is being caused by hormone problems.

It would be best if you ask your husband about this. He should be able to tell you why he was prescribed the medicine. This could alleviate any worries you may have.

Hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor