Can Doxycycline be used to treat erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my husband was given 50mg of doxycycline to take twice a day for ten days. However, he did not have a cold or infection such as respiratory or sinus. Reason for doctor visit says: erectile dysfunction. what could he possibly be given this medication for if he did not have a respiratory infection. He never told me about the medication he was taken. I found a patient information sheet in his bag.
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doxycycline is used to treat other infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. I reviewed the medical report and am guessing your husband's doctor suspected an infection in his testicles or prostate gland, or possibly in his urine or urethra. Doxycycline is also used to treat infections in those areas. A urine test had been checked which could reveal some of those possibilities. The report also mentioned further evaluation of the testicles. Perhaps the doctor suspected an infection in the tubes of the testicles (epididymitis). He might have erectile dysfunction as a result of this. The doctor also checked hormone tests to see if the erectile dysfunction is being caused by hormone problems.

It would be best if you ask your husband about this. He should be able to tell you why he was prescribed the medicine. This could alleviate any worries you may have.

Hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj