Can Doxazosin be discontinued abruptly?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Cancer
Question: In 2009 I had prostate cancer surgery - radio active seed implant. My PSA is now 00.00. After the surgery, my doctor prescribed Doxazosin Mesylate 4 mg tab to be taken once a day before bed. Is it safe for me to stop using the med? I have normal urine flow and retention. I am 74 and in good health.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
hello dear. Yes it may be safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Doxazosin is a drug which is used to maintain a good urine outflow. It is usually prescribed if the patient has poor urine stream, dribbling or dysuria. It is not an anticancer agent. If you have a good stream, it can be stopped.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D