Can Diflucan cause nausea as a side-effects?
Advises on possible helpful treatments and further follow up.
There are few possible reasons why you are having nausea while taking diflucan.
One is the risk if you are allergic to it. It might cause nausea, tummy ache if it is causing the gastrointestinal form of allergy.
There are other forms of allergy like skin rash and very rarely shortness of breath and swelling in the face (eyes and lips).
If you develop just the nausea or the skin rash generally it is nothing to worry, you can just take an over the counter Benadryl tablet to help you.
If you develop swelling in your face or shortness of breath (which is very rare and very likely you will not develop these).
Then it is a severe form of allergy and you will need to see a doctor urgently.
Other causes of nausea might be due to the effect diflucan has in the stomach itself, it causes irritation of the stomach inner layers due to acid increase.
To help with this is make sure you take it always after food and also take an over the counter antiacid to help reduce acids in the stomach and feel better.
Diflucan can sometimes in some patients case stomach bleeding.
If you notice tar black stools this might be a sign of bleeding in the gastrointestinal system and in this case you will need to urgently see a doctor.
So to conclude i would say:
- As long as you have no face swelling (eyes and lips) and no shortness of breath and no black dark stools very likely you are still good.
- Take an over the counter benadryl (this might make you drowsy so be cautious if you will be driving).
- Take some over the counter antiacids also to help reduce acid in the stomach.
- Make sure you take fluids and food that do not irritate your stomach and does not make your nausea worse.
- Eat and drink in frequent small amounts to avoid nausea.
- If you see you are not better or you feel you are any worse or develop any of the symptoms mentioned above (swelling, short of breath and black stools) than you have to see your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Zotaj Antoneta, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effect of diflucan
- Is decreased urine a side effect of diflucan?
- Is shortness of breath a side effect of diflucan?
- Fluconazole diflucan side effects
- Is nausea and vomiting a side effect of diflucan?
- Is fast heartbeat a side effect of diflucan?
- Side effects nausea causes
- Is skin rash a side effect of diflucan?
- Is chills a side effect of diflucan?
- Is hoarseness a side effect of diflucan?