Can Diclogesic and Allopurinol be taken together for gout?
I am having gout (pain and swelling on toe joint with uric acid in blood as 9.2) and taking allopurinol 100mg morning and 100 mg evening for last 45 days and continuing as per doctor's advice. Initial days I have taken about about 25 diclogesic tablets (daily one or two). Still I am having pain and swelling. Dicolgesic I dicontinued due to likely side effects of taking more painkiller.Should I take Diclogesic tablets or not? XXXXXXX
You need to take NSAID
I have studied your case. Gout is due to change in uric acid level. As you are taking Allopurinol soon your uric acid level will be under control and then you will not have any pain. Remember it is not high uric acid level which is an issue but rather sudden increase in uric acid level is a problem.It can happen due to sudden alcohol intake, high protein diet like in a party or stress.So apart from taking Allopurinol you should avoid taking heavy diet of protein and foods and vegetables with seeds like Guava, lady finger, Karela.
As far as pain at present is concern you need to take pain killer like Diclogesic or nimesulide or Brufen. You can change from one to another but Allopurinol has no role in pain. it is given to prevent future attack of gout. If pain is very severe then colchicin tablets can be given after discussing with your doctor.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
Thanks a lot for giving very valuable information for which I would be indebted to you always. I may kindly be informed about the following also.
1) I get relief (both pain and swelling)within 4-5 hours of taking a Diclogesic tablet. I took one around 1.00 pm today now at 7.00 pm I am feeling quite comfortable. Whether I should continue to take Diclogesic on daily basis (my doctor gave 2 each for 7 days) or wait for next occurrence of swelling or pain.
Hope no sever side effects by taking diclogesic?
2) I would be continuing to take allopurinol as per the advice.Whether allopurinol removes the uric acid crystal already deposited presently at the toe joint.
3) As regards food, whether daily lemon (half to one)juice with sugar reduces uric acid level? (I am not diabetic).
4) Whether non veg foods (chicken, mutton, egg, milk products etc) is to be fully discontinued even after recovery?
5) Please give some more examples of vegetarian foods/ fruits which may be avoided or preferred.
6) Pl advice about Ozeprazole Capsules I.P.20 mg that I have started taking. Mentioned in the report forwarded.
With deep regards
Allopurinol can not remove already formed crystals
thanks for replying.
1.You can take pain killers on SOS basis. I mean if their is pain then only you take it. No need to take it regularly.
2.Allopurinol will not change already deposit crystals but it will decrease further chances.
3.Lemon with sugar does not going to change this.
4.Non veg foods can be taken but you should not take large quantity as I mentioned that sudden change of uric acid level are more dangerous.
5.General rule is do not eat foods or vegetables with seeds like lady finger, pulses, chana, Besan, soyabeans, matar, read meat, vine .
6.Omeprazol is for acidity and gastritis. So no harm in taking this. it should be taken with pain killers to prevent gastritis.