Can Dextromethorphan be taken for croup?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi there,
Last year my 5 yr old son developed croupe 8-9 times and rec'd dexamethasone orally, which he responded to very well to each time. I am a physiotherapist and was quite concerned about giving him this....we tried all the typical techniques but nothing worked (ie: cold air, steam, humids, etc.). We finally pushed for inhalers and got a prescription.The salbutamol seems to work now, but I am very concerned about the frequency he rec'd last year! He has been fine since January 2015 but concerned about bone health. He has seen a pediatrician who stated that my son was fine...but I want a second opinion regarding "too much dexamethasone" and long term side effects.....he is otherwise healthy. no asthma, no rashes, no issues whatsoever. Doesn't get SOB with activity. He was a natural childbirth with no concerns. His cousin used to get croupe but grew out of it. Sister and family healthy. No allergies.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry. Dextromethorphan doesn't affect bone health on short term or long term use at all. It's a drug which acts centrally to suppress dry coughs. So, the short term or immediate side effects are central mainly confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate, slurred speech, psychosis, hallucinations, anxiety, poor co-ordination, over heating. In some cases it may cause allergic reaction such as itching and rashes.

No specific long term side effects have been proved. But it has been suggested that long term abusive doses can cause learning and memory impairment along with liver dysfunction.

If it was given to your son at recommended dosages and had no immediate side effects, then there is nothing to worry at all.

If your child has dry cough next time, then try tixylix cough syrup as it has glycerin which is soothing with no significant side effects at all.

If the cough at present is responding to salbutamol, then there is a possible allergic tendency. So, try to search for causes of allergy and avoid them.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 53 minutes later
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply. I just want to confirm that the medication was dexamethasone (decadron) for croupe cough. It was not dry cough, but the distinct bark cough you hear with croupe (NB: he is up to date on all vaccinations including pertussis). Doctors confirmed croupe

I did read that frequent use of this medication (steroid) can affect bone health. Especially avascular necrosis in growing children.

The dexamethasone always worked well with 1 dose each time....but my son just kept getting croupe 1/mo (he was at a daycare with several young children, one in particular constantly had sinus infections and likjely RSV). the meds would resolve the issue then a few weeks later he'd get a cold and croupe again.

Now that months have gone by and he has grown, we tried the salbutamol andso far it seemed to work to prevent the wheezing/ gasping that we saw when he got croupe in the past.....

Does this additional information change your response at all??

Thx muchly :)

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I am extremely sorry for the confusion of drugs.

Dexamethasone (although the drug of choice for viral croup) should not be used for mild to moderate cases of croup which do not compromise airways.

Your concerns about its use are not completely inappropriate. Yes, being a steroid it's overuse can make a child prone to multiple complications including avascular necrosis of bones ( hip esp.). But at the same time, if your child is completely fine with no pains even on passive movement of joints, then the possibility is extremely low.

So, I would recommend you just a pelvic x Ray for complete satisfaction ( MRI if he feels any joint pain).

Hopefully this will be of help.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 35 hours later
Thank you again for your response.

My son does not have pain in his joints..he does get leg cramps in his hamstrings but seems to be localized to hamstring insertion not the joint.

I will take your advice and request an xray - at least to look at coloration of bone on xray and I will try passive hip movements.

Do you think 8-9 doses of dexamethasone in one year would do permanent damage...is avascular necrosis something that he can develop later (without symptoms now)? Prior to this year, he had only about 4-5 doses overall (age 10 months to 4 yrs old). As mentioned, he is 5 yrs old now.

We just made it through an episode of croupe again in past few days, without meds.

Thank you again,

Just need to know your thoughts on "what you would consider OVERUSE of dexamethasone."

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The chances of development of avascular necrosis (AVN) if he is completely asymptomatic and has clear bone picture (even after one year) are almost nil.

Also, there is no such reported cases of croups developing avascular necrosis after dexamethasone use till date. It's not advisable for mild to moderate attacks of croups mainly because of other more common side effects of steroids.

Overuse of any steroid including dexamethasone as in autoimmune diseases such as SLE, pemphigus, renal dysfunction has been more commonly associated with development of AVN.

If your child has pain in hamstring, you may check for vitamin D and calcium deficiency. These are quite common reason for such complaints.

Hopefully this will be of help.