Can Dantrolene, Baclofen, Gabapentin and Phenobarbital be taken together?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hello, our 12 year old son is 1 year out from a gunshot wound to the head resulting in a full frontal lobotomy. He is currently taking Amantadine 15ml x2, Baclofen 4ml x4, Gabapentin 12ml x3, Kepra 5ml x2, Lanzoprazole 10ml x1, Phenobarbital 11.5ml x2 and Diazapam 7.5ml x 3 times per day + 5ml PRN as needed and Simethecone .6ml x4. We would like to replace the diazapam for "tone" with dantrolene as the diazapam is only sedating him for the increasing muscle stiffness our son is experiencing. I have read the contraindictions about dantralene but several of our friends from the brain injury alliance recommend it highly from their experience. What is your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
to monitor for interactions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.

Dantrolene is a good drug for spasticity but it can have significant interactions with three of the drugs your son is currently taking, namely, baclofen, gabapentin and phenobarbital. So, we may need to start it at the lowest dose and gradually increase if there are no features of drug interactions, particularly sedation and muscle weakness.

Apart from this, periodic liver function tests are required to check for liver toxicity which may be a serious adverse effect of dantrolene.

Hope this helps.