Can Cytoxan cause frequent urination with burning sensations?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Cancer
Question: A month ago I had a culture taken for a UTI. No bacterial growth but I wasn't told that my WBC was 11-30 and that my WBC Esterase was trace abnormal. I just saw it on my own lab report. Today I went for another culture because for 3 days I have had burning while urinating and have been urinating extremely frequently but going quite a bit each time. I am a breast cancer survivor of 18 months and just read that cytoxan can cause bladder cancer, which was part of my chemo treatment. Should I be concerned? What should I do if this culture comes back with similar test results? I had regular bloodwork done about a month ago and all was normal.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. There is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details. So there is nothing to worry due to following reasons
1. The pick up rate of culture in urine is low and you may get another sterile report.
2. The urine report is suggestive of infection.
3. Endoxan causes more of cystitis rather than cancer and that too when used at very high doses, not that used in ca breast.
4. If you are still worried, you may get a urine malignant cytology test and mri test done.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D