Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Can Cymbalta taken by father have any effect on conception? I am pregnant

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I am pregnant and when we conceived our baby my husband was taking Cymbalta, he takes 60 mg/day, and he has been taking it for the last 4 years. Do you know if this medication can affect our baby?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later


Thanks for writing to us

This drug as you know is an antidepressant and all antidepressants reduce the sperm count and motility if taken for a longer period.

Regarding birth defects one can not predict but there will be spontaneous abortion if there is a major birth defect in the fetus.

As you are 39yrs old and if it is your first pregnancy then there can be chances of Down's syndrome so it is better to go for the screening and genetic counseling.

Screening includes combined tests in first trimester and nuchal translucency on scan at 11 weeks as well as Quadruple marker in the second trimester along with serial ultrasounds.

Till then just relax and take folic acid or macfolate under doctor's prescription.

Best wishes

Take care

Any further query is most welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can Cymbalta taken by father have any effect on conception? I am pregnant 5 minutes later
Dear Dr. Minoo:

This is my third pregnancy and I already had an amnio test and the results said that the baby is fine.

Thanks and regards,

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 55 minutes later

Welcome back

If this is your third pregnancy and you had your PAPP test or Amino acid test which is normal then I don't think there is going to be any problem.

Other tests for further follow ups like NT on ultrasound and markers like triple and Quadruple will make it more definite.

Best wishes

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor