Can Creatine and protein powder be taken while on treatment for typhoid?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
i was diagnosed with typhoid about 10 days back after which i was put on an antibiotics course comprising of cefexime and azithral twice a day for 5 days followed by another 3 days of cefexime. i am still on a light diet. was taking my protien powder as advised today i took creatine along with it just like i used to before typhoid. can i keep taking creatine along with mu protien powder. how long before i can start exercising and finally back to weight training.

thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that you should avoid creatine , and protein powder . You should avoid it till 1 month there is no set guidelines but typhoid is a major illness and recovery is going to take at least 6 weeks .

If you want to take protein powder , you can but you should start in very less amounts as your body will face difficulty in handling it . You should go for a light diet as far you can maintain . In my opinion you should wait for at least 6 weeks before starting exercise .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Can Creatine and protein powder be taken while on treatment for typhoid? 39 minutes later
thanks for the prompt response.

after 10 days' bed rest i rejoined work today, which went rather well on most counts for most part of the day, diet and water was kept light and home cooked, unfortunately by the end of the day i had a persistent stomach ache which was not present even when i had fever (which was last recorded on 12.07.2014).

is this stomach ache normal for patients recovering from typhoid, should i wait and watch on the stomach ache for say a day or should i bring this to my doctor's attention and take off from work again??

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for reverting back.

In my opinion you should bring this to your doctors attention .It can be a minor issue but typhoid is also known to give typhoid ulcers in the gastrointestinal tract, so it is always better to be on safe side .

Dr. Shruti