Can Coude Olive Tip 16 latex catheter be cleaned and reused?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi. I catheterize about 4x/day with Tiemann Model; Coude Olive Tip 16" reddish rubber latex catheter. Can this item be safely cleaned at home and re-used? (I have read about boiling and vinegar suggestions, and 'clean' versus aseptic procedures.) Plus, can you refer me to a 'Hospital Checklist for clean catheterization for out-patients' ? Thanks, and happy December to you. XXXXXXX Everton (Tennessee)
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not advisable to reuse Latex Rubber catheter .

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted you seem to be doing Clean Self Intermittent Catheterization (C.S.I.C)at home to drain urine from bladder by using latex rubber catheter.

Ideally it is advisable to use this catheter it for a single use .

Now a days Silicon catheters which can be used for 5-6 times have been available in market known as Ramson's Catheters for CSIC .These are safe ,smooth ,non traumatizing catheters and can be reused after boiling in hot water and rarely cause UTI.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.