Can Concerta cause facial tics?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can a low-dose ADHD medication such as Concerta cause facial tics?
A separate question, female, age 50

My right knee has a sharp pain when I kneel on the ground, just to the right (outside) of my knee cap. It feels as if I have kneeled on a tack or a rock, but nothing is beneath my knee. I do not recall injuring it.

When checking web MD, it seems like this could be bursitis? Recommended treatment is rest, cold packs and anti-inflammatory meds. I assume it is still ok to exercise gently (not a runner...). Is there anything more I can do to treat/heal this more quickly?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Knee Ultrasound and X ray need. LOW dose concerta can cause tics

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query.

Concerta has as known side effect tics. Even with low doses, many patients have experienced such tics. I think it's not very rare.

With regards to the knee, the clinical picture you describe is vompartible with bursitis. However, confirming the diagnosis with a knee ultrasound is imperative. This does not only confirm the diagnosis, but gives us an idea of the quantity of fluid contained in the knee. Abundant quantities of fluid might require drainage .

Doing an x Ray in case the ultrasound and clinical review do not suggest bursitis is also important .

Rest, ice parks and anti inflammatory medication are appropriate in bursitis. I will not advice premature on the affected knee. I suggest once the diagnosis is confirmed, you take good rest for the knee. The duration shall depend on the intensity, which shall be determined by the clinical and radiologic findings (ultrasound and x ray).

Thanks and kind regards

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. Bain.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting me

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj