Can Concerta and Strattera be taken together?

Posted on Tue, 15 Mar 2016 in Child Health
Question: Would like a response from a Childrens Dr. if Concerta and Strattera can be taken at the same time. Trying to ween child off of Concerta and just taking Strattera.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken together, even at the same time.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

As a developmental pediatrician I hope I would be able to answer your query to your satisfaction. Concerta and Strattera can be adminisered simultaneously and the combined effect is usually much better.Talk to your doctor if taking your child off Concerna is a good idea. If he insists, drug holiday should be a good idea, i.e. skipping the meds on weekends or holidays. Do this only on consultation with your doctor.

Strattera has the advantages of not making the child gain weight but its effects may take some time to kick in. One of it's common side effects is loss of appetite. However, another common side effect is perspiration. The good news with strattera is that with some people those side effects go away or never appear.

Let me know if I could guide you further.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician