Can Colchicine be taken with Warfarin?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Arthritis
Question: how does taking colchicine for gout ok with warfarin
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case,

There is no direct interaction between two drugs. But both are narrow therapeutic range medicines. Colchicine can potentiate warfarin and vice versa. Evidence suggests that colchicine will raise the INR at therapeutic dosage by about 0.3-0.5.

Colchicine is well known for its toxicity that includes bleeding of the kidneys. So, warfarin would make that bleeding far more likely.

If possible you can take other medication for gout. Consult your doctor regarding use of febuxostat and etodolac.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj