Can Clonidine be taken with Clonazepam?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: To all psychiatrists out there is clonidine a good drug to be mixed with clonazepam ? I currently take 0.1 mg of clonidine , 30 mg of paxil and 1 mg of clonazepam the porpuse why I was prescribed clonidine was upon the promise that my high BP would go lower if I took this drug and it would be a substitute for clonazepam. Here some facts about me I'm not a drinker or a smoker neither am I a drug user I weigh around 215 pounds and I'm 22 I eat very healthy , no red meat or caffeine I do everything to live a long and less troublesome life. I used to have a good BP 120/80 now my bp is always at either 140/90 or 160/90 at its best 130/80. Dear psychiatrist I also have a slow heart rate sometimes my heart rate will be at 45. I've been subjected to a battery of tests ECOs and EKGs and stress tests even a 24 hour heart monitor was put on me and everything was okay. what could be the underlying cause for this ongoing problem ?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Yes, clonidine is perfectly safe to mix with clonazepam. It works both to treat anxiety AND to treat high blood pressure. Regarding your low heart rate, this is called asymptomatic bradycardia, and some people are just born with it -- as long as you are not having symptoms such as randomly passing out, this is normal and safe.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad