Can Clonazepam treat acute narrow angle glaucoma?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was taking clonozipan but stopped a year ago because I was diagnosed with pre glocoma. Now my doctor wont prescribe it until I talk to my eye doctor. I had a bad episode over the weekend and ended up in the er. I am wondering if I can take it as I do not have glocoma only preglocoma. Also he said that he couldn't give me lorazapam, diazapam or any of the others I have taken for the same reason. Is there something like that that I can take. I go in today so I would like to be informed. Thank you

YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acute narrow angle glaucoma

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Clonazepam is not to be used in acute narrow angle glaucoma. This is a sudden illness of the eye where there is a sudden block of drainage.

It presents with the following symptoms : eye pain, nausea and/or vomiting, blurred vision with halos.
The doctor may not increased eye pressure, redness of the eye, swelling and pupil not reacting as it should.

It is not normally contraindicated (cannot be used) in all forms of glaucoma and not in patients who have increased pressure but not glaucoma.
Since your doctor is wary of using it, you may want to ask your eye specialist to write a letter clearing you for use.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi

No prob

let me know if you need any additional assistance