Can Clonazepam be taken for a long duration?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hi there. I quit Citalopram (2) weeks ago. Still getting some dizziness, head pressure, fatigue and cannot sleep at night. I tapered off from 15mg down to zero over a period of (5) months. Have been using 0.3 mg of liquid Clomazepam(3 drops) before bed for the past week. My questions are.....how long is it safe to use Clomazepam every night for sleep? Is Melatonin safer? How long do you think this SSRI withdrawal insomnia will last? How long do SSRI withdrawal symptoms usually persist? Is it normal to be off of an SSRI for (2) weeks and still feel these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
avoid using Clonazepam regularly for long

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Clonazepam is a safe medicine and can be taken regularly without any worries. But the drug should be taken under proper supervision of a doctor only. You should avoid using the drug regularly for more than 4 weeks unless strongly indicated.

Melatonin is rather safer than any benzodiazepine. Melatonin doesn't have abuse potential or risk of dependence. This will help to regulate your sleep.

In most cases symptoms of withdrawal of any SSRI should go in 4 weeks. In coming weeks you should feel better.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana