Can Clindamycin be taken during pregnancy?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a tooth abscess. I just found out I'm pregnant, 7 wks. I normally take clindamycin 300mg, twice daily for my tooth abscesses, but now that I am pregnant I am not certain if my prescription I have will be safe. I have not had a chance to decide on or make an appointment with an ob gyn, so. do not have one to ask yet.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clindamycin and pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have a tooth abscess and you discovered that you are 7 weeks pregnant. Usually you use clindamycin but out of concern for the baby you need to know what risks there are with clindamycin in the first trimester. Clindamycin is pregnancy category B. This means that there is no know affects to a fetus during the 2nd and 3rd trimester. There are no studies during the 1st trimester. So the likelihood of any affects during the 1st trimester is unknown. All the other antibiotics will have the same warning. Since the other antibiotics have the same warning you could if you needed to take antibiotics the clindamycin would be reasonably safe.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Thanks for your time. Can I take a probiotic with the antibiotic while pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probiotic during pregnancy is good

Detailed Answer:
Yes I would actually recommend you take a probiotic while taking the antibiotics to prevent or at least lessen your chance for diarrhea.