Can Clindamycin be replaced with Cephalexin for treating an oral infection?

Question
My son just had oral surgery last week and have finished his prescribed antibiotic- Clindamycin 300mg- he feels like the area is infected. He experienced an infection a couple months ago after some prior dental work. What should we do in lieu of his doctor sending in a refill for this antibiotic. His Dad was just prescribed Cephalexin 500mg. I am tempted to give him one for the night. Please help us. Prescription is finished and feel like an infection is eminent
Mon, 7 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If an infection seems eminent, you can give him his father's antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Could you please let me know what exactly makes him feel that the area is infected? There are only two things that can be done. The first is to go on a self-treatment with his dad's Cephalexin, and the second is to go to a doctor and get it evaluated (it is not necessary that the same antibiotic would be given). Although my preference would be for the latter, the choice is yours.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: Can Clindamycin be replaced with Cephalexin for treating an oral infection? 53 minutes later
Thanks so much Dr. Saha! I appreciate your speedy response.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back if you ever have a health related query in the future. I would be there to assist you.