Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Can Clarithromycin help in treating Urinary tract infection or bladder infection ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I think I have a uti or bladder infection. I had a bladder sling put in three years ago and am having weird symtoms now. I have some antiibiotic here at home that I could take, clarithromycin, till I can see the doctor. Should I take it? I am 50 yr old caucasian female 5'1 145 lbs. When I start to urinate it is usually ok but near the end is a very uncomfortable feeling like pressure and just very different. No fever. Do have some urgency to urinate constantly. No pain or stinging just this weird pressure feeling like I have to go even though there is no urine there. that feeling.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello, .

Thanks for the query

First and foremost, your symptoms do not seem to be due to Urinary infection. It more likely appears to be due to detrusor overactivity syndrome.

Detrusor instability is characterised by uncontrolled contraction of the bladder wall (detrusor muscle), producing urgency, often with frequency and nocturia, and sometimes leakage (urge incontinence).

This condition needs treatment with anticholinergic medications (Eg Detrol), which need a prescription by a doctor.

In addition, Clarithromycin is not the antibiotic, indicated for urinary infections, hence use of this medication will not be useful in your condition.

The best course of action, would be to consult your primary care doctor who can do a urinalysis as well as urodynamic studies of the bladder to confirm the diagnosis and initiate the appropriate therapy.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor