• question-icon

Can Citalopram be abruptly discontinued?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: hello, I take citalopram for about 4 yrs now @20mg a day . I read a story in the news that it can dampen empathy and love responses. is that at a higher dose? my dose seems low. is there a chance that I could get off theis drug? I know that is a question for my doctor, but I want an opinion. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chances of losing love response is very low

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although if you ask me theoretically I would say discontinuation of citalopram is possible. But practically speaking if there is discontinuation the risk of relapse for depression is around 40% in just one year period and 75 % in your life time.

Considering no side effects till date and need of putting extra energy to deal with these issues I think continuing with medication is safer option than discontinuation.

Regarding referred article I must assure you that the possibility of losing empathy or love response is very low at the current dose. Most patients report such side effect during initial six months of treatment and with progression of time risk decreases.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist