question-icon

Can Ciprofloxacin cause neurological damage?

Posted on Sat, 23 Jul 2016
Question: Hi
Can ciprofloxacin 750 mg cause neurogical damage?
Reason for this question my friend has UTI?
He has been using for three days before nitrofurantoin 50 mg 6 days. There weree still bakteries left so he got 2 weeks ciprofloxacin

Thanks in advance XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about UTI. Ciprofloxacin is not known to cause any neurological damage. Two weeks is not too long as there are persons who take this for longer durations and have no neurological damage. For now, make sure he takes enough water as this is advised when receiving treatment with ciprofloxacin.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask of more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah (46 hours later)
Hi
Thanks for the answer.There is some pain the stomach after taking the tablets for 5 days and diarrheas every day
It feels very sleepy and tablets takes much of energy..
Is it possible to take vitamin tablets such as b5 complex or Iron

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (22 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, take B5 complex rather!

Detailed Answer:

It is possible to take B5 tablets as well. IN addition, drink much water so as to replenish all fluid losses.

Keep me updated!
Dr. Chobufo Ditah