Can Ciproflaxin be used for blood in urine?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have some ciproflaxin 500mg that my doctor prescribed for me for a trip to mexice last month. This was to prevent stomach upset from eating the wrong foods down there. As it turned out, I didn't need them so I still have 10 pills. I now have a UTI with a tinge of pink in my urine. Can I take these Cipro tablets and if so, how many and how often?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine routine examination, drink plenty of water, cranberry juice

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM,
I have gone through your query.

It is always advised to complete the course of antibiotic, even if your symptoms disappear.
Pink tinge in your urine does not indicate urinary tract infection.

In my clinic I would have asked you for urine routine examination and based on the report I would have decided on the medication. Usually I prefer Norflox for urinary tract infection. Yes Ciprofloxacin can be used.

But presently I would suggest you to drink plenty of water and drink cranberry juice which will be beneficial. GP for urine routine examination and wait for the report to decide on the need of antibiotic.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee