Can Cimzia be taken for RA?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Lupus
Question: I have been taking cimzia monthly For the past four months For RA.. For about two months i have had unusual pain on side of my back( mid lower. It is not muscular and is only severe In certain positions and The Pain is severe For a few seconds. I have also had two UTI's and hadn't had any for over 35 years prior. The third issue is high liver enzymes which my doctor is watching. We chose Cimzia due to anaphylaxis From remicade, simponi and orencia. Prior to the start of The Cimzia My sed rate and c reactive numbers Were off The charter as Well as ESR numbers. I wont have blood Work until mid XXXXXXX What is your opinion as to whether to continur. Obviously i am Just looking for another educated opinion to which obviously i realize it is Only an opinion. Thank You For taking The time to read My complaints.
My e-mail is YYYY@YYYY.com and My name is Marsha. BTW i also have fibromyalgia and take IVIG intravenous therapy every four week for CVID common variable Immunol deficiency. What a Mess! Lol
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think you should continue the medication.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that in my opinion you can continue on CIMZIA as the pain that you are talking in back muscles seems unrelated to the same . But yes the UTI can be due to immune supression by the drug but since you are having your disease activity controlled on this drug so better to stick with it .

Yes there is a concern regarding deranged LFT but regular monitoring is what we will advise to you. Rituximab is another drug which has got a good efficacy in RA , so in case you want to switch from cimzia tallk to your treating doctor regarding rituximab option.

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist