• question-icon

Can Cialis and Xarelto be taken together?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Ive been diagnosed with a small blood clot in my lower right leg and have been prescribed xalerto. I also take cialis for ED. Can these be taken together. I have not had claims for 10 days since I've been taking xarelto.
Are there any red flags to look for when taking xarelto
thank you
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not known but be careful.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
There is no significant known interaction between Xarelto and Cialis.
However since Xarelto is a newer drug so you need to be careful as a lot many times new interactions appear later with experiences.
However since you already have a clot problem I would otherwise also recommend you to take Cialis occasionally as these drugs needs to be taken with precaution in people with heart disease and related issues.
As far as precautions with Xarelto are concerned, you just need to be aware and report your doctor if you develop any bleeding from any site.
Regular monitoring of coagulation profile is warranted.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 39 minutes later
When we discovered the blood clot, I was having severe pain in my lower leg around my calf muscle for several days, which prompted me to go back to the surgeon who did my knee surgery
He referred me to a vascular dr that performed ultrasound and found the clot on right calf
Pain but no other symptom. No swelling, no redness or warm areas.
Started on xarelto that night which was about 10 days ago
Pain in calf had continued until today...
Absolutely no pain, nothing...my question is ... Is it possible that the clot has dissolved since there's no pain and no other symptoms? I found it odd that the pain in my leg just disappeared
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Deep vein thrombosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Yes this is possible that clot may have got dissolved.
You may need to continue the anticoagulant for 6 months if you have a factor like prolonged bed rest leading to clot formation.
However if there is no risk factor and the clot still formed, you may require life long anticoagulation.

Dr. Anshul Varshney