Can Celexa and Ginseng be taken together?

Posted on Mon, 20 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I am taking celexa....I take it before I go to bed in the day...I work third shift and it helps me to sleep....Lately I experience much tiredness and fatigue especially when awaking....Coffee helps a little to wake up...but I feel low energy and fatigue....I read that ginseng is very helpful in relieving this.... My question is it safe to take ginseng(and what type??) upon awaking??? or is this a bad combination??? Or do you have other advice along with coffee that will help me feel less tired??? THANKS XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to increase the dose of celexa if you are taking it for depression

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

I do not see any rationale to use ginseng for tiredness and fatigue associated with shift work and use of medications. Although I am not aware of reason of celexa prescription but I feel if you are taking it for depression it is better to increase dose as unrefreshing sleep with tiredness and fatigue is indicative of poor response with current dose.

In case you are taking it for getting asleep I feel it is not a good choice and there is need to look for alternative options like agomelatine.

Regarding ginseng it could be good option over internet but I do not find any worth for it in majority of patients whom I recommended.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist