Owl Image

Can Cefdinir be take for treatment of urinary tract infection?

Owl Image
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Question
Yes. I have a mild urinary tract infection...........frequent urination and some stinging during urination. Can i take Cefdinir 300 mg for this?
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can use

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

E coli is the bacteria that is the most common cause of urinary tract infections. It accounts for close to 90% of cases of urinary tract infections.

Cefdinir is normally used treat respiratory tract infections (pharyngitis, ear infections, sinusitis, pneumonia) but it is thought that it may also be effective against e coli.

You can use if a complete course is available to you.

Normally there should be some improvement within the first 2 days with continued improvement as the course is completed.

If you do not notice a response it may be either that the bacteria causing the infection is not sensitive (reacting) to this antibiotic.
Your doctor may then send a repeat urine analysis to the lab for them to check which antibiotics would work best and change to one of these.

Continue with the cranberry juice.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions