Can Carafate cause swollen ankles and feet?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Would this carafate cause your ankles and feet to swell?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be from Carafate.

Detailed Answer:

No, ankle swelling is not a typical symptom for Carafate. Lower extremity swelling can be due to blood vessel problems, but can also be due to congestive heart problems.

If the swelling is in both of your legs, and you have not had this before, I recommend you call your doctor or the doctor on call for your doctor and describe when this symptom started, and how much swelling there is. Also tell the doctor you talk with that you are on Amlodipine as this medication can be linked to swelling.

While it would not be typical for a person to get swelling from Carafate, if the swelling started after initiating the medication, then talk with your doctor about that too. But I would suspect cardiovascular reasons for the swelling instead.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can clarify further.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
Thank you, I was thinking it could be my amlodipine. I have taken lotensin for years and started swelling so changed to amlodipine. Been on that for a few years also. Heart is ok, just had check and they said I had a healthy heart..
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Yes, if it is due to medication, the amlodipine would be the most likely suspect.

If there is significant swelling though, don't wait to have it addressed though.