Can Campral be taken for successful detox from wine?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Is it dangerous to drink a bottle of red wine everyday. I have been drinking theceqivant for 25years. I am now 60. Does campral help. I am trying to detox at home. I take 3x5 MSG of valium a day. For last 2dayscand 1mg Ativan to try and stop. Just feel anxious. No shakes or headaches etc.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
only valium is sufficient for successful detox.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.

I can understand your concerns.

A bottle of red wine per day is not good for health.
Its great that you have decided to quit wine.

In my opinion, valium is the only drug needed for successful detox from wine.
There is no need for ativan. You can increase or decrease the dose of valium itself. (There is no use of taking two benzos, valium and ativan together).

You can gradually decrease the dose of valium as your anxiety resolves.
It commonly takes 7-10 days to stop valium as the withdrawal symptoms resolves in this period.

Only occasionally does the withdrawal symptoms last longer.

Campral has been claimed to help in reducing craving. But in my opinion, it has limited benefit. It only increases the cost of treatment.

Importantly, as these are prescription drugs, you must keep in touch with your doctor and take the drugs under his supervision.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar