Can CPAP be used for a long duration while suffering from lung disease?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: hello. I am a current user of a cpac machine (started 1 month ago) , I was wondering if there were any long term use concerns by using this over the years. ???

thanks , XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Positive effects overwhelm the negatives one

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure or CPAP is used for patients who suffer from Sleep Apnea, COPD in other words obstructive lung diseases to keep the airways open during the breathing cycle.

Its use has positive effects and some negative effects too

Some long-term negative effects are bloody nose, nasal and skin dryness, stomach distension from air, aspiration of food and damage to the lung (if it is in high volumes)

But i can say that the positive effects are so important that these negatives one have no importance at all.

So do not worry so much and keep using it according to your doctor instructions.

Best regards

Feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad