Can Bystolic cause lightheadedness and heaviness in the chest and head?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is a common side effect of Bystolic heaviness in head and chest to the point of feeling lightheaded (dizzy)? My doc had reduced my meds from 20mg to 5mg and I’m still experiencing these side effects?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic!

I understand your concern and would explain that this is a known adverse of Bystolic, as a beta-blocker.

Considering the fact that even after reducing the dose, you are experiencing these adverse effects, I would conclude that you do not tolerate this drug and switching to another drug would be recommendable.

If your complaints persist, even after stopping Bystolic, I would recommend performing some blood lab tests to investigate for other possible causes that may exacerbate the situation:

- fasting glucose
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes
- a resting ECG.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure and heart rate values.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee