Can Butrans transdermal patch cause significant weight gain?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pain Management
Question: Almost 40 yr old female. On bioidentical HRT and the Butrans Transdermal Patch for chronic pain. I've been dieting properly and exercising vigorously daily for more than 6 weeks and haven't been able to lose an ounce. I was inactive for more than ten years until the patch so I'm trying to lose the 40 pounds I gained from XXXXXXX to May from being on MS Contin for those few months. Is is possible that the patch is the reason I'm not having any weight loss success. I'm burning more calories than I take in. Doing 4-7 miles a day with incline. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Butrans not known for weight gain

Detailed Answer:

Buprenorphine is not reported to cause significant weight gain. However they 'may' interact with other body hormones thus may hinder the weight loss efforts. The interactions at cellular levels are highly debatable in every individual.

I think what you do is correct, the calorie consumption is much less than calorie expense. This is the theory and when it comes to practice it may take much longer time to see the results. Many people quit their wt loss practices just before they start losing weight. I think you should be clever enough to continue your hardwork towards the goal.

At every effort I suggest a local expert's advices from dietitian, physical trainer and physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Yes, I agree. I haven't gained any weight since starting the patch. I gained all the weight the few months I was on MS Contin. The patch is what has enabled me to have life again. But, I think that it counteracts all hormone and metabolism so that losing weight hasn't been possible. I'm considering going off the patch for a short while and try to go back to only Norco for pain. I wasn't able to do anything except lay around before getting on the patch but I'm hoping that even though I haven't lost any weight that I've at least conditioned my body to be able to be active and maybe I'll be able to handle not having the patch or a really significant means of pain control for a short time. I know that since I didn't replace my patch on Tuesday morning and by letting it run out that the scale has actually changed by almost 2 pounds and so far I've not had any withdrawal effects but if I do then I'll have to put it back on until I see the dr and discuss this with him to titrate down the right way.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That sounds like a right plan

Detailed Answer:
Ok, all that sounds like a good plan to work. Its good news that you have no withdrawal effects off patch. That is uncommon. We always advice to go off the patch very slowly.

All the best.