Can Bupropion cause respiratory problems?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been having Asthma, bronchitis like Symptoms, that started when I started taking the medication, Bupropion HCL 150mg , Are they related to each other ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's rare, but possible:

Detailed Answer:

It is very rare to have respiratory problems with bupropion, but I looked through some of the pharmacological literature on this medication and found that bronchospasm, although rare, can occur.

Bronchospasm is the reversible tightening of the airways seen in asthma. It may give symptoms of tightness in breathing.

The bronchospasm that has been noted in post-marketing research on bupropion is separate from hypersensitivity reactions (allergic reactions) to the medication.

In people where bronchospasm does occur, most often people will experience this symptom beginning within the first 100 days of taking bupropion.

Again, it is rare, but if you noticed the onset of asthma like symptoms correlating with starting the medication, then bupropion may be suspect.

I'm attaching a link to an article from fda.gov. It's about the product Zyban, but that is just a particular brand name for bupropion. It is the same medication.

The link won't show up blue here, so copy and paste the address into your address bar.

See page 24 "post marketing experience: Respiratory"

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/020711s032s033lbl.pdf

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further help.