Can Bupropion be taken along with Selegiline?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I know it is contraindicated to take any sort of dopaminergic drug with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI); however, I'm aware of a few case reports of low dose NDRI (weak) Wellbutrin XR (bupropion) <=150mg PO once daily in addition to low dose MAOI selegiline (l-Deprenyl) <=5mg PO (not Emsam TD patch) once daily in accordance with a restricted diet low in tyramine containing foodstuffs. Is this a viable option in cases of extreme refractory atypical depression, and generally safe? Any other literature or experience/wisdom of such unorthodox approaches?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Still risk of interaction

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are wondering if it would OK to use a low dose Bupropion with selegiline? Despire what maybe previously attempted there is still a high risk of causing bupropion overdose with the combination. If you were to have any side effects from taking these two medication together your doctor would be in danger of losing his license. This is a deadly combination and one I would never suggest or recommend.

You could possibly try using abilify to help with depression as there is no contraindication to using selegiline and abilify. Abilify is used in conjunction with other antidepressants to augment the antidepressant effect. Ask your doctor if this would be a viable option.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions

Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 17 minutes later
I am without question well informed and moreso of any toxic vascular or hypertensive crises' arising from their concomitant use. I disagree with using Abilify (aripiprazole) as an alternative with anything but phenelzine of the three remaining MAOIs FDA approved. as with selegiline and tranylcypromine are both substituted amphetamines and Abilify antagonizes D1-type receptors and further acts as a partial agonist at the D2-type receptors further reducing their efficacy. Nevertheless your short term answer is most likely a more valid observation than my pharmacodynamic spiel. Playing with fire, I suppose? Agreed. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Good luck I hope I was able to give you some advice as I can see you are very well versed in your pharmacology