Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Can Black Cochosh be taken when suffering from PCOD and trying for pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 673 Questions
I have PCOD problem and trying for pregnancy, age 31, and now I am taking Glycomat 500mg 3 times a day and Duphustone to with draw my periods. I am also taking health supplements for iron and multivitamin from amway. Whether I can take Black Cochosh supplement which is for menopause stage hormonal balancing. Pls suggest on black cochosh
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No known benifit/harm. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Black cohosh is used for treating estrogen deficiency naturaly in postmenopausal women. In reproductive age group (that too with PCOD) there is no such deficiency. There is no known benifit/harm associated with it if taken by women in reproductive age. You can take it as advised by your doctor, as sometimes some doctors may observe special effects with medicines/supplements which are not known to all. Coming to conception, you need ovulation induction with medicines for maximizing chance of pregnancy (especially if cycles are irregular suggestive of anovulation). For exact advise for conception, kindly provide following details. 1. How are cycles: regular/irregular? 2. Husband's semen analysis report if already done. 3. How long you are trying for pregnancy? 4. Was tubal patency test done & if done, what was result. 5. Previous treatment taken. Awaiting reply. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can Black Cochosh be taken when suffering from PCOD and trying for pregnancy? 11 minutes later
My answer: 1) My cycles are not regular... if I take duphuston / sustane 300 for getting my periods. 2) done Semen test... it is fine with result. 3) I am got married since 1.5 years and trying form that. 4)Uterus tube test also done... no issues in that.... 5) pcod in both ovary is almost 16-18 in right and 12- 16cc in left ovary and my serum insulin level is 300 in fasting with glucose. 6) they suggested me to proceed with glycomet and duphuston (for with drawal of period) and regulat exercise and diet ... I was 69 kg before 4 months... now doing walking and following few low carb diet and now reduced to 66.5 ... as ideal weight I should be around 55 - 58 kg.... Please suggest me wehther I can go for any ovulation tablet for ovulation... As of now this doctor as not suggested me any ovulation tablet...
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ovulation induction will give best chance. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Please continue your weight reduction programme, it will help in faster conception. For best results, please consult gynecologist/infertility specialist for ovulation induction. We normally give clomiphene citrate from day 2/3 of menses for ovulation induction. It gives 25-30% chance of pregnancy per cycle & around 70% chance in 6 ovulatory cycles. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor