Can Bisoprolol be taken instead of Inderal safely?

Posted on Mon, 8 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I finished my inderal 20 mg which i was on for years . Can i switch to bisoprolol 2.5 mg a day .

I also take vitamin C - vitamin E - vitamin super B complex - vitamin A and magnesium chelate because my left hand shakes
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through the question and would explain that 25mg of Inderal is a really low daily dose.

2.5 mg of bisoprolol is a higher dose when compared to 25mg of Inderal ( the normal therapeutic dose of Bisoprolol is 2.5-10mg daily while for Inderal it is 80-600mg).

From the other hand Inderal Is effective in tremor too, while bisoprolol is not.

Bisoprolol has fewer indications compared to Inderal.

That is why I would recommend continuing taking Inderal.

Or you can switch to metoprolol 25mg if you really need to change your current therapy.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask me for any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Sharka. My problem is that Inderal is not sold where I live so is AFT -Metoprolol OK because this is the medication I can find where I live. And what does shall I take ? It is sold in 47.5 mg and 95 mg.
Thank you very much and I do appreciate your help very much
Sincerely XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would recommend taking half of a tablet 47.5mg AFT-Metoprolol every day, instead of Inderal 25mg.

You can raise gradually the dose if well tolerated (you should closely monitor your heart rate and blood pressure).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist