Can Bisoprolol be taken instead of Inderal safely?

Posted on Mon, 8 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I finished my inderal 20 mg which i was on for years . Can i switch to bisoprolol 2.5 mg a day .

I also take vitamin C - vitamin E - vitamin super B complex - vitamin A and magnesium chelate because my left hand shakes
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through the question and would explain that 25mg of Inderal is a really low daily dose.

2.5 mg of bisoprolol is a higher dose when compared to 25mg of Inderal ( the normal therapeutic dose of Bisoprolol is 2.5-10mg daily while for Inderal it is 80-600mg).

From the other hand Inderal Is effective in tremor too, while bisoprolol is not.

Bisoprolol has fewer indications compared to Inderal.

That is why I would recommend continuing taking Inderal.

Or you can switch to metoprolol 25mg if you really need to change your current therapy.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask me for any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Sharka. My problem is that Inderal is not sold where I live so is AFT -Metoprolol OK because this is the medication I can find where I live. And what does shall I take ? It is sold in 47.5 mg and 95 mg.
Thank you very much and I do appreciate your help very much
Sincerely XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would recommend taking half of a tablet 47.5mg AFT-Metoprolol every day, instead of Inderal 25mg.

You can raise gradually the dose if well tolerated (you should closely monitor your heart rate and blood pressure).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 7218 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Tremor

doctor1 MD

I m a healthy 50 year old male. I m thin,don t drink or smoke. Over the past year or so, I seem to have developed an exaggerated startle response....

doctor1 MD

Hi My father 1. Trembling of Hands and legs. 2. Slulling of speech(Uncleared speech many times during talking) 3. Speaking out during sleep at...

doctor1 MD

I ve been having a heavy feeling from my neck to the top of my head and vision is sometimes a bit blurry. I have developed slight head tremors of...

doctor1 MD

I think I am self diagnosing femoral tremors... but want to ask. I am male, 65. Average weight. When I stretch my arms my left arm will shake...

doctor1 MD

I have been taking Clonanzepam for 6 months and would like to know how to withdraw from this drug. The other drugs I take are Omeprazole once a...

doctor1 MD

hello i am having flutters in my chest feeling with a tremor and quiver feeling i have anxiety so i get confused but mu medicine for anxiety does...

doctor1 MD

My husband is 70 years old. Is a bk amputee who developed gastroparesis about a year ago. Yesterday afternoon she took a nap and when he awoke he...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

165 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction