Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Can Bi-polar turn into Schizophrenia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6171 Questions
Can Bi-polar turn into Schizophrenia? She was on Hydrocodone for a while, and we thought this was her main problem. Prior to that, we thought she was bipolar and/or had postpartum depression. She was horribly mean while on the Hydrocodone. My es-husband lives nearby and tried to get her into treatment, but she refused. This summer while on something, she wrecked their van. Luckily her 2 children weren't in the van. She caused the accident. Her husband has worked in San XXXXXXX for 12 years. He is divorcing her now and lives in XXXXXXX Az 3 weeks out of the month. I fear the safety of the children. I also fear my daughter going downhilll more and killing the children. They are 12 and 16. I feel the need to get a diagnosis and/or information about how to get her into treatmenet. My exhusband has talked to some hospital that is suppose to be good, but they say she has to walk in on her own accord. Any suggestions???
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bipolar is a risk factor for schizophrenia Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry ti hear about what your daughter is going through. It s rather unfortunate that this is happening so so fast and she seems to be putting the lives of others on the line as well. Bipolar is a psychiatric disorder and every psychiatric disorder is a risk factor for another. It would be difficult for the hospitals to do anything unless she by somehow finds herself there. This would mainly be through the efforts of her family and friends. No doctor can get a patient on the road and start to treat against his/her wish. However, if it can be proved in a curt of law that she constitute danger to herself, close ones or the public, only at this moment can she be taken in for treatment against her will. From the information you have provided she seems to be functioning and even has a job which makes it difficult to really say so. I will suggest that you talk to her and find out what the problem is without any prejudice or criticism. Just listen during the discussion and let her do the talking so that you can understand some of her frustrations and way that can be used to address them. The greatest task at hand is to convince her and get her to the hospital for psychiatric consultation. If you have valid, credible and convincing evidence that can be used to say she puts the lives of the children at risk, that can be used to keep her away from them. Without these, we would be blocked and no one can go further to getting her evaluated fully and treated. I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Feel free to ask fr more information if need be and clarifications. Thanks for using our services. Dr.. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor