Can Bayer Back & Body help in treating chronic gastritis?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Dr XXXXXXX chail

Since have mild chronic gastritis can i take back and body bayer pain relief ? Taking prevacid 30mg but reconmended by chiro since have neck and shoulder pains since have disc degeneration disease and have T6 vertabrae hurt probably due to my fall when got injury to my ankle .was reading T6 affects stomach as well too and causes heartburn
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take back and body bayer for short duration and as described below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Hope your pain and stiffness have decreased and you are feeling better.

1. The medicine back and body bayer contains aspirin 500 mg and Caffeine 32.5 mg.

2. Aspirin is a pain reliever and caffeine increases the pain relieving property of aspirin.

3. Prevacid 30 mg contains lansoprazole 30 mg is a proton pump inhibitor and decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.

4. If you are planning to take back and body for single use or for a very short duration then it is not a serious concern. When taking medication,
(i) prevacid 30 mg should be taken about 30 minutes before meals
(ii) followed by a moderate meal and
(iii) back and body bayer is to be swallowed immediately after your meal.

This way your stomach lining will be protected from the side effect of back and body which contains aspirin.

5. Should you have pain in upper abdomen, vomit blood or have bloody or black stools then please discontinue taking back and body bayer pain reliever.

6. If you choose to take oral pain relievers for more than a week then please discuss with your physician as complete blood, liver and kidney functions are to be done when a patient is regularly taking oral pain relievers.

7. In my opinion, please use pain reliever and muscle relaxant ointments and sprays on the hurting areas, these are more focused at reducing the pain at the local site and have fewer side effects.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 40 minutes later
Thanks for the response
Been eatting more but now I understand why have stomach problems too cause have injured T6 vertraebae which affects stomach giving one heartburn etc was reading on the web

What kind of spray can be used for neck area pains due to neck degenerated disc does this mean have arthritis ?
cause have arthritis in lower spine but doesn't bother me don't understand why my neck is bothering me Chiro thinks it's due to how I sleep
On stomach in past or from injury that hurt the T6 vertraebae

What do you think ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X ray of cervical spine might show arthritis changes, please use pain relief spray or ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. There is a possibility of the following two situations in your case.

(i) There might be degenerative disc disease in the neck region which is causing compression on the nerve roots at the disc level. This compression of the nerves is causing pain in the neck and shoulder.

(ii) Due to constantly lying on your stomach due to the T 6 injury, the muscles in your neck might have suffered a spasm. This happens when a person sleeps in the wrong position for a long time and probably what your chiropractor thinks.

2. To know whether you have arthritis in the neck spine or not, it is important to do a X ray of cervical spine.

You cannot go for a MRI cervical spine right now due to the ORIF at ankle. If MRI is required then please discuss with the orthopedician and inform the radiology technologist about your ORIF at the ankle.

3. Sprays and ointments which are used to treat neck and back aches contain Methyl salicylate in spray form or ointment. Salonpas pain spray and ointment is popular over the counter pain relief spray and ointment brand and is FDA approved. Your pharmacy might also have other equally helpful brands of pain reliever sprays and ointments.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist