• question-icon

Can Azithromycin be given for cold in children?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. He was given a z pac woth the instructions of 1 teaspon once a day. I gave him 1 teaspon three times day
He is six and weighs 60 pounds. Just making sure this will not hurt him
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Azithromycin (z pack) is a safe antibiotic.

2. Inform your doctor.

3. You can skip a dose and then continue. The half life of azithromycin (rate of elimination from the body) is about 3 days.

4. Common side effects are loose motions, abdominal discomfort, nausea and rarely, effects on the liver. This information is just for awareness.

5. There should be no problem here.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist