Can Azithromycin and Flagyl be taken together for chlamydia?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Infections
Question: For chlamydia, can i take 500 mg of azithromycin and 500 mg of flagyl?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Azithromycin or doxycycline.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. FLagyl if given for chlamydia are in cases of combination with broad spectrum cephalosporins and that too in complicated chlamydias like Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases (PID). Usually one gram of single shot of azithromycin is as good as 7 days of doxycycline. Either one of them is prescribed provided the patient's history is not a contraindication like arrhythmias or former heart problems in case of azithromycin as that can cause arrhythmias.

Talk to your infectious disease specialist and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 minutes later
So does 500 mg of azithromycin usually cure it?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
1gm

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

As i said 1 gm is the dose not 500 mg. Once taken in 1 gm usually takes care of it unless it's a complicated chlamydia . Let your doctor decide what to do.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 31 minutes later
lol, ok let me ask this a different way, If i only have 500 mg of Az then can i supplement that with 500 mg of flagyl?
Brief Answer:
1 gram no flagyl

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me
Azithromycin is 1gram dose not 500 milligram. Flagyl is not Indicated in simple chlamydia. So no need for flagyl and double the dose of azithromycin.

I hope it helps.
Khan