Can Ativan cause itchy red eyes?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Can Ativan cause my eyes to get a little crusty, itchy and red. As well as a little blurry?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This may be coincidental occurrence

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is an allergy, unlikely to be due to ativan.Reason being that you have been taking ativan for some time and these drug allergiestend to surface early.
What i need to know how ling have you been taking ativan and what is the duration of these eye synonyms.
In the meantime continue with what you are doing and we will have to use antiallervic drops and ointment if it doesn't respond.
Please get back to me with relevant information so we can offer concrete suggestions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 19 minutes later
The Ativan is an old prescription for my left knee replacement, that I stopped using months ago. I recently was having trouble sleeping, so I started taking it again about a week ago. The eye symptoms started about two days ago.
I can see my primary in the next day or two, to nail it down.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic conjunctivits

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
This is allergic conjunctivitis,but unlikely to be due to ativan.As ativan had already been used for sometime without any side effects.
Anti allergic drops and an antibiotic eye ointment at bed times should be useful to you,because eyes are crusty,suggestive of superadded bacterial infection.
Any further query in this regard, do get back to me.