Can Ativan be taken after Hydrocodone intake?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: can I take 1 mg ativan after taking hydrocodon-aceta1 tablet
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ativan compounds the central nervous system affects of Hydrocodone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Am I right in assuming that the Ativan 1 mg is a daily night time dose for you (perhaps to sleep?) while the Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen is a new medication for you for a particular problem?

Taking Ativan (a benzodiazepine) with Hydrocodone (an opiate) is not advisable if you have never taken this together before and your doctor did not specifically clear this with you. The reason is that benzodiazepines (such as Ativan) can compound the effects of the opiate on the central nervous system/brain. Too much for a particular person can cause slowed or decreased breathing (respiratory depression) which if it is too much for a person, can cause too little oxygen or stopping breathing. And it can cause increased sedation too.

If you normally take the Ativan to sleep, and you have never taken the Hydrocodone until tonight, consider either skipping the Ativan or taking half of it until you see how the medications affect you.