Can Atenolol be taken with Epipen?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Is it true with 12. 5 mg of atenolol at night of i needed my epipen it would not work ?
Posted Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, in some instances.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Atenolol is a beta blocker which is a drug having effects on the heart and blood vessels, usually used in the treatment of hypertension. There is a recognised interaction between atenolol and epinephrine which is the drug contained in an epipen. This results in a degree of resistance to the important effects of an epipen in the event of an anaphylactic reaction. Also, in the presence of a beta blocker, epinephrine can cause a very high blood pressure.
It is known that patients on beta blockers have an increased incidence and severity of anaphylactic reactions.
However, atenolol has actions more specific to the heart than some other beta blockers so is less likely to cause these problems. I note the dose of atenolol you take is low and you do not mention why you take it. From your age, I guess it is not for hypertension.
To answer your question, yes, the atenolol may affect the action of your epipen. I suggest you discuss with your doctor alternative medication to the atenolol.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Can Atenolol be taken with Epipen? 8 minutes later
It is hyperstension and because at times my pulse is faster than it should be. So the low dose and type of beta blocker make it less likely to interfere ?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly, adverse interaction will not be severe

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further information. Atenolol is a cardioselective beta blocker which means it tends to have an effect on the heart rather than the blood vessels. Also, the low dose you are taking both will be likely to reduce the adverse interaction between the epipen and atenolol.Therefore, any interaction will not be very severe but is still likely to occur.
I hope this helps.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Can Atenolol be taken with Epipen? 3 hours later
Ok so most likely the epipen would have some effect ?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Yes. The epi pen would certainly have some beneficial effect but may be less than optimal.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Can Atenolol be taken with Epipen? 5 hours later
Thank you !!

Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. I wish you good health.
Dr K A Pottinger